Granny Gibb's cottage, at the corner of Dumbarton and Sawmill Roads in Partick (near the site of the Thornwood Roundabout today), 1894. The photograph was taken by the photographer William Ferguson, just one hour before the cottage was demolished.
"Granny Gibb" was Elizabeth Gibb, the innkeeper who managed the premises with two daughters known as "Mother Gibb" and "Aunt Gibb". Her husband, a vintner, built the cottage in 1796. It became a popular haunt of drovers on their way from the West Highlands with cattle and sheep for the Glasgow markets. As many as a dozen drovers would bed down in the inn's loft, leaving their animals to graze in the fields behind the building. Partick's inns were also popular with Glaswegians, who came out from the city on summer Saturdays to enjoy the village air and eat roast duck served with green peas and washed down with ale, rum punch or whisky.
Setts and tracks for horse-drawn tramcars can be seen in the foreground. There is a railway embankment in the background, carrying the Caledonian Railway Co's Lanarkshire & Dumbartonshire Railway on its way to Clydebank and Dumbarton.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
drovers' inns, innkeepers, Lanarkshire & Dumbartonshire Railway, pubs, railway embankments, taverns, thatched cottages, tramways, vintners, women