Looking west along Castlebank Street in Partick, c 1890.
These houses in the old village of Partick were demolished in the 1920s. The entrance to "The Goat" (Kelvin, later Keith, Street) can be seen at the far end of the row, to the left of the photograph. The opening on the right bears a sign for Well Street and led to weavers' houses and workshops. It was known as Parliament Close, because the Partick weavers held open-air meetings and political discussions there during the early 19th century.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
carts, closes, cobbled streets, cobbles, grocers' shops, grocery shops, houses, provisions merchants, streetscenes, villages, weavers, window shutters