Govanhill Recreation Ground, early 20th century.
Glasgow Corporation acquired land for a recreation ground at Govanhill in 1894. The original lay-out split the area in two, with one laid out with ashes to create an area for playing football and similar games and the other part covered with grass and with a small gymnasium. A shelter with toilets was built in the centre of the park, trees, shrubs and flowerbeds were planted round the edges and there were park benches set at regular intervals along the gravel paths. The bandstand was added in 1903.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
bandstands, children, Glasgow Corporation, Govanhill Park, Govanhill Recreation Ground, music, parks, tenements, women