View from the Flagstaff, South Side Park, looking north east taken by George Washington Wilson (1823-1893) c 1878.
Wilson was an Aberdeen-based portrait painter who moved into photography in the 1850s. He concentrated at first on photographic portraits but soon branched out into landscapes, eventually covering Scotland and the north of England. His work coincided with a tourism boom in Scotland and the postcards and books he produced sold very well.
In 1857 the City of Glasgow bought land to the south of the city boundary in order to build a third public park for Glasgow, which opened in September 1862. Although sometimes known in the early years as South Side Park, its official name was Queen's Park - the Queen's army was defeated at the Battle of Langside nearby in 1568.
Queen's Drive and Queen's Park High Church (now Crosshill Queen's Park Church) can be seen in the background. In the distance are factory chimneys at Rutherglen (to the right) and the East End (to the left).
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
churches, Crosshill Queen's Park Church, factory chimneys, horses and carriages, parks, photographers, Queen's Park, Queen's Park High Church, railings, South Side Park, spires, tenements