Maryhill Basin on the Forth and Clyde Canal. The boatbuilding yard at Kelvin Dock occupied by McNicoll Bros, Shipbuilders and Repairers from 1922 until the 1950s, is on the far side of the basin. In the background, centre, is a tenement at Maryhill Cross which was demolished in 1978. A Corporation tramcar is travelling along Maryhill Road, right.
Boatbuilding started in Maryhill during the late 18th century with the development of the Kelvin Dock on the Forth and Clyde Canal. The Swan family were the best known of the Maryhill boatbuilders, occupying the yard from 1837-1893.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
boat builders, boat repairers, boats, boatyards, cranes, docks, Forth and Clyde Canal, Kelvin Dock, Kype, Logan, Maryhill Basin, McNicoll Bros, puffers, tenements, trams