Roadworks in Garscube Road, 1920s or 1930s.
The Corporation's Public Works Department was responsible for the "construction, maintenance, improvement and repair of public streets, roads, bridges, sewers and public conveniences". By 1930 there were 438 miles of public streets in Glasgow, as well as 197 miles of private streets which were the responsibility of the proprietors of property which had frontages on them.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
council workers, labourers, Office of Public Works, roadworks, shops