The opening of Whiteinch Baths in George Street (subsequently Medwyn Street), 1889.
The Whiteinch Public Baths and Wash-house were built next to the public halls and the building contained a large swimming pond 75 feet by 35 feet 6 inches; a small pond of 40 feet by 20 feet; sixteen slipper baths for ladies and thirty-one for men; forty-three wash stalls; sixteen washing machines and (from 1926) a Turkish bath with room for twenty people. Sun lamps were installed in the 1930s.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
bathing, laundries, opening ceremonies, steamies, sun lamps, swimmers, swimming pools, wash-houses, washing, Whiteinch Public Baths and Wash-house