Staff standing outside Robert Houston's family butcher's shop at 139 Castle Street c 1910. A grumpy-looking elderly women peers over the shoulder of the female shop assistant in the doorway.
Until the 1970s it was common for butchers to hang carcasses on hooks in their shop doorways, more as a means of advertising the range of fresh meat on offer within than because of any lack of storage space. The practice ended with the introduction of more stringent food hygiene regulations and a greater public squeamishness about the display of butchered animals.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
butchers, butchers' shops, carcasses, food hygiene, sheep, shop windows, women