Janet and Arthur Irvine in their shop at 186 Kenmure Street in Pollokshields c 1945.
This photograph was taken towards the end of the Second World War. Food had been rationed since 8 January 1940 and customers would have been required to produce their ration cards to purchase some of the goods on display here, such as oat flakes and condensed milk. A complex system of rationing was used to make sure that everybody got enough to eat and that they were eating good, wholesome food. Rationing continued after the war the last restriction were not lifted until the end of June 1954.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
groceries, grocers, grocers' shops, newsagents, rationing, Scott's Oats, Second World War, telephones, tinned food, weighing scales, women