A R & J Templeton grocery shop in Norfolk Street in Gorbals, 1904. The windows are packed full of goods for sale, including a range of own-brand teas that were blended at the firm's warehouse in Dale Street in Bridgeton. The staff pose outside for the camera in their white aprons.
Robert Templeton opened his first grocery shop in South Wellington Street in the early 1880s, and was joined by his brother John when he began to open new branches in the city. By 1900 R & J Templeton, "tea merchants and cash grocers", had opened forty branch stores, most of them in Glasgow. The firm was sold in 1919 and became part of the Allied Suppliers (Scotland) group along with famous Glasgow grocery shop chains such as those of Andrew Cochrane, Galbraith & Son and A Massey.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
A Massey, Allied Suppliers (Scotland), Andrew Cochrane, Cochrane's, food, Galbraith & Son, Galbraith's, groceries, grocers, grocers' shops, grocery shop chains, grocery shops, Massey's, R & J Templeton, shop assistants, shopkeepers, shops, tea blenders, tea dealers, tea merchants, Templeton's teas