Herbert's Farm on the south side of Woodlands Road, looking north in the late 1870s. In the background are the town houses of Park Circus (right), built 1857-1858 and Lyndoch Place (on the left), stretching up the hill towards the towers of Trinity College (1856-1857). The unmetalled road in the foreground is now Cliff Road, which sweeps into Lyndoch Place past Park Drive (leading off to the right, foreground). A number of men sit on a fallen tree in the foreground in front of a cottage - they may have been involved in laying the new access road to Woodlands Hill. The cottages were demolished long ago.
Burnbank Bowling Club, founded in 1865, moved to this site in 1890. Woodlands Road originally ran from St George's Road past Woodlands Hill to the South Kelvinside Mills on the banks of the River Kelvin. Developers began to lay out new streets on Woodlands Hill during the 1830s, and it became one of the most fashionable and affluent residential areas in the city.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
colleges, construction sites, cottages, Glasgow Free Church College, tenements, towers, town houses, Trinity College, Woodlands Hill