A writing desk designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928) in 1904 for the drawing room at Hill House, Helensburgh.
Made of ebonised mahogany inlaid with mother-of-pearl, ivory and ceramic and decorated with leaded glass and metal, the desk has been described as "one of Mackintosh's most accomplished pieces of furniture design". It was purchased in 2002 by Glasgow Museums and the National Trust for Scotland with assistance from the Heritage Lottery Fund, the National Art Collections Fund and a private donor.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Art Nouveau, furniture, Glasgow Museums, Glasgow Style, Heritage Lottery Fund, Hill House, National Art Collections Fund, National Trust for Scotland, writing desks