"Briggate" and Old House at Foot of Stockwell by William Simpson (1823-1899).
Sketched in 1846, this image shows the view looking from Clyde Street past Stockwell Street and along Bridgegate. The tenement on the right was built in 1817. Only the ground floor remains at the beginning of the 21st century, housing the Clutha Vaults pub and some small shops. Looming above and behind this tenement is the Merchants' Steeple. The building on the left is covered with boards advertising local businesses and had served as the harbour's Custom House, 1757-1840.
This watercolour is one of fifty-five painted by Simpson between 1893 and 1898. The series is based on sketches he completed fifty years earlier and which appeared as black and white illustrations in Views and Notices of Glasgow in Former Times, published in 1848 by Allan & Ferguson.
Reference: 892m/ 1889.2.m
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Allan & Ferguson, artists, Clutha Vaults, crow-stepped gables, custom houses, Merchants' Steeple, paintings, public houses, pubs, shops, streetscenes, taverns, tenements, watercolours, women