On the Kelvin, near the Old Flint Mill, 1845 by William Simpson (1823-1899).
The North Woodside Mill was built on the north bank of the River Kelvin opposite the area now occupied by the Botanic Gardens. It was described as a barley mill when it was offered for sale in 1758. The man-made channel (called a lade) on the left of the painting carried water to the mill wheel. In 1846 Kidston, Cochran & Co of the Verreville Glassworks built a flint mill on the site of the derelict buildings. It stood until the mid-1960s and the ruins of the kiln, lade and other surviving features have been preserved as features on the Kelvin Walkway
This watercolour is one of fifty-five painted by Simpson between 1893 and 1898. The series is based on sketches he completed fifty years earlier which appeared as black and white illustrations in Views and Notices of Glasgow in Former Times, published in 1848 by Allan & Ferguson.
Reference: 892ao/ 1889.2.ao
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Allan & Ferguson, artists, barley mills, Botanic Gardens, bridges, fishermen, fishing, flint mills, glass manufacturers, glass manufacturing, grain mills, Kidston, Cochran & Co, mill lades, paintings, River Kelvin, Verreville Glassworks, watercolours