Old Close at 207 High Street by William Simpson (1823-1899).
The close was on the west side of High Street near to St Nicholas Street (which was south of George Street). Simpson believed that the houses had been built with masonry taken from a demolished building nearby.
This watercolour is one of fifty-five painted by Simpson between 1893 and 1898. The series is based mostly on sketches completed fifty years earlier and which appeared as black and white illustrations in Views and Notices of Glasgow in Former Times, published in 1848 by Allan & Ferguson.
Reference: 892al/ 1889.2.al
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Allan & Ferguson, alleys, closes, crow-stepped gables, lanes, paintings, slums, streetscenes, tenements, washing, watercolours, women