Old Post Office, Nelson Street by William Simpson (1823-1899).
The Post Office moved to Nelson Street (later renamed South Albion Street) from the Saltmarket in 1810. The new building in Nelson Street was designed by the city's Superintendent of Public Works James Cleland (1770-1840) and had an entrance on the right of a central window and the post box to the left, with a clock above. A board above the central window bore the Royal Coat of Arms. To the left of the post office was a tavern and above it a public hall known as the Lyceum. The Post Office moved to Glassford Street in 1840, and in 1842 the old building became the Christian Brotherhood Church's Nelson Street Chapel. It was subsequently demolished to make way for an extension to the Corporation's Fruit Bazaar.
This watercolour is one of fifty-five painted by Simpson between 1893 and 1898. The series is based on sketches he completed fifty years earlier which appeared as black and white illustrations in Views and Notices of Glasgow in Former Times, published in 1848 by Allan & Ferguson.
Reference: 892ai/ 1889.2.ai
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Allan & Ferguson, artists, chapels, Christian Brotherhood Church, churches, clocks, Fruit Bazaar, Fruit Market, General Post Office, Lyceum, Nelson Street Chapel, paintings, post boxes, post offices, public halls, public houses, pubs, streetscenes, superintendents of Public Works, taverns, watercolours, women