Old Houses in Gallowgate nearly opposite St Andrew's Lane by William Simpson (1823-1899).
Simpson probably made the sketch for this watercolour in 1843. It shows houses on the north side of the Gallowgate almost opposite St Andrew's Lane. The house with the three crow-stepped gables was the oldest and may be the house which Thomas McUre described in 1736 as belonging to Thomas Orr, writer and brother of John Orr of Barrowfield. It was knocked down in 1854.
This watercolour is one in a series of fifty-five painted by Simpson between 1893 and 1898. Most are based on sketches he made fifty years earlier and which appeared as black and white illustrations in Views and Notices of Glasgow in Former Times, published in 1848 by Allan & Ferguson.
Reference: 892af/ 1889.2.af
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Allan & Ferguson, artists, crow-stepped gables, horses and carts, houses, paintings, shops, streetscenes, tenements, watercolours, women