Barclay & Curle's Slip Dock by William Simpson (1823-1899).
Based on a sketch completed in 1845, Simpson depicts the shipyard established by John Barclay at Stobcross in 1818, the first to be built on the upper reaches of the river. Within two years John's son Robert had constructed repair slips at the yard. The firm became Robert Barclay & Co and then Barclay & Curle in 1845. In 1855 the firm opened the Clydeholm Shipyard at Whiteinch and finally left Stobcross in 1874. The Finnieston crane and the North Rotunda now occupy the site of the old yard.
This watercolour is one of fifty-five painted by Simpson between 1893 and 1898, based on sketches he completed fifty years earlier and which appeared as black and white illustrations in Views and Notices of Glasgow in Former Times, published in 1848 by Allan & Ferguson.
Reference: 892ad/ 1889.2.ad
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Allan & Ferguson, Barclay, Curle & Co, Finnieston Crane, North Rotunda, paddle steamers, Queen's Dock, repair docks, Robert Barclay & Co, Robert Barclay & Curle, rowing boats, sailing ships, ship repair yards, shipbuilders, shipbuilding, shipyards, slip docks, Stobcross Shipyard, Stobcross Timber Wharf, watercolours