Kelvinhaugh Slip Dock from east end of Govan by William Simpson (1823-1899).
Simpson based this painting on a sketch drawn in 1845, looking north down Highland Lane in Govan to Kelvinhaugh across the River Clyde. A paddle steamer is sailing past the bottom of the hill to the right of the view and there is a sailing ship raised on to John Shearer & Son's slip dock at Kelvinhaugh. The woods of the Yorkhill estate can be seen in the distance.
This watercolour is one of fifty-five painted by Simpson between 1893 and 1898. The series is based on sketches he completed fifty years earlier which originally appeared as black and white illustrations in Views and Notices of Glasgow in Former Times, published in 1848 by Allan & Ferguson.
Reference: 892ac/ 1889.2.ac
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Allan & Ferguson, artists, children, John Shearer & Son, Kelvinhaugh Slip Dock, paddle steamers, paintings, River Clyde, rivers, sailing ships, ship repair docks, ship repair yards, shipbuilders, shipyards, slip docks, thatched cottages, watercolours, women