The Old Bridge, Cathcart by William Simpson (1823-1899).
Based on sketches drawn by Simpson in 1842, this painting shows cottages at the Old Snuff Mill Bridge at Cathcart. The mill, occupying the buildings under the chimney behind the bridge, was originally a meal mill but was converted to a paper mill by Solomon Lindsay in 1812. In 1814 the part of the mill nearest to the bridge was let to James Hartley for a snuff mill.
This watercolour is one of fifty-five painted by Simpson between 1893 and 1898. The series is based on sketches he completed fifty years earlier which appeared as black and white illustrations in Views and Notices of Glasgow in Former Times, published in 1848 by Allan & Ferguson.
Reference: 892ab/ 1889.2.ab
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Allan & Ferguson, artists, bridges, chimney stalks, cottages, meal mills, Old Bridge, Old Snuff Mill Bridge, paintings, paper mills, River Cart, rivers, snuff mills, watercolours, White Cart Water, women