The Old Bridge at Partick by William Simpson (1823-1899).
The watercolour shows the view from Partick looking across the River Kelvin to Yorkhill, c 1850. The house in the foreground was once a tavern called the Ark. Behind it can be seen the arches of the Old Partick Bridge, built in the late 16th century and demolished in 1895 when access was cut off by the construction of the Lanarkshire & Dumbartonshire Railway. The building just peeping out on the right from behind the pub is the Bishop Mills with distinctive wheatsheaf finials on the gables. It was built on the site of an old mill in 1837 and renovated and converted to contain twenty flats 150 years later.
This watercolour is one of fifty-five painted by Simpson between 1893 and 1898. The series is mostly based on sketches he completed fifty years earlier which appeared as black and white illustrations in Views and Notices of Glasgow in Former Times, published in 1848 by Allan & Ferguson.
Reference: 892aa/ 1889.2.aa
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Allan & Ferguson, Ark, artists, Bishop Mills, bridges, chickens, crow-stepped gables, finials, fishermen, fishing, flats, Lanarkshire & Dumbartonshire Railway, mills, Old Partick Bridge, paintings, public houses, pubs, River Kelvin, watercolours, wheatsheaves, women