House at Parkholm Printfield by William Simpson (1823-1899).
Simpson sketched this scene in 1848, by which time the printfield works had been removed and only the manager's house remained. It stood at the western corner of the works, facing the River Clyde. In the foreground is the Kinninghouse Burn which once marked the boundary between Lanarkshire and Renfrewshire. The burn became polluted and in 1849 it was enclosed in a culvert. By the 1890s the house and the ground it stood upon were swept away to permit the widening of the river.
This watercolour is one of fifty0-five painted by Simpson between 1893 and 1898. The series is based on sketches he completed fifty years earlier and which appeared as black and white illustrations in Views and Notices of Glasgow in Former Times, published in 1848 by Allan & Ferguson.
Reference: 892w/ 1989.2.w
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Allan & Ferguson, artists, burns, culverts, Kinninghouse Burn, paintings, Parkholm Printfield, printfields, River Clyde, water pollution, watercolours