Bell's Park and Quarry by William Simpson (1823-1899). The painting depicts the view looking southeast from Cowcaddens across Bell's Quarry (also known as Provanside Quarry) towards Bell's Park and Townhead, probably in the late 1830s or early 1840s.
It is believed that the quarry was established during the medieval period but it was in-filled during the 1840s and Queen Street Station built on the site. Love Loan ran along the southern edge; a continuation of Rottenrow, this narrow road was often busy with coal carts travelling between the Monkland Canal and the Broomielaw. Simpson grew up in North Frederick Street and knew the area well. He particularly remembered that the mound at the edge of Bell's Quarry was a favourite spot for flying kites, and also for stone-throwing battles between local boys.
This watercolour is one of a series of fifty-five painted by Simpson between 1893 and 1898. Most are based on sketches he completed fifty years earlier and which originally appeared as black and white illustrations in Views and Notices of Glasgow in Former Times, published in 1848 by Allan & Ferguson.
Reference: 892r/ 1989.2.r
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Allan & Ferguson, Bell's Park, Bell's Quarry, children, fights, horses and carts, kites, paintings, panoramas, parks, Provanside Quarry, quarries, stationary engines, watercolours