New Quay on the South Side by William Simpson (1823-1899). The derelict building in the background is Charles Todd & Co's cotton spinning mill.
In 1837 work started to widen the River Clyde and build a new quay on the south bank of the river at Windmillcroft, opposite the Broomielaw. The work was completed in 1839. This painting appears to show the view from the west of the construction of the adjacent Springfield Quay, which was completed in 1850. The shipyards of Tod & MacGregor and Thomas Wingate were relocated further down-river to make room for the new facility. On the left, a steamship is moored at the temporary wooden wharf which was erected in 1848 while work proceeded on the quay behind it.
This watercolour is one of fifty-five painted by Simpson between 1893 and 1898. The series is based on sketches he completed fifty years earlier which appeared as black and white illustrations in Views and Notices of Glasgow in Former Times, published in 1848 by Allan & Ferguson.
Reference: 892q/ 1989.2.q
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Allan & Ferguson, construction sites, labourers, navvies, paintings, panoramas, quay walls, quays, River Clyde, Springfield Quay, steamships, watercolours