View from near Shields Bridge by William Simpson (1823-1899). The view looks north-east to Tradeston from a point near the modern junction of Shields Road and Scotland Street, and is based on a sketch completed by Simpson in 1845.
Shields Bridge crossed the Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal which connected Glasgow to Johnstone and had its eastern terminus at Port Eglinton. Work had started on the canal in 1807 and it had opened to Johnstone in 1811, but the plan to continue to Ardrossan was abandoned as too expensive. The Glasgow & South Western Railway Co purchased and closed the canal in 1883 and laid a section of the Paisley Canal railway line along the route. .
This watercolour is one of fifty-five painted by Simpson between 1893 and 1898. The series is based on sketches he completed fifty years earlier and which appeared as black and white illustrations in Views and Notices of Glasgow in Former Times, published in 1848 by Allan & Ferguson.
Reference: 892k/ 1989.2.k
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Allan & Ferguson, artists, canals, children, Glasgow & South Western Railway Co, Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal, landscapes, paintings, Shields Bridge, tenements, watercolours, women