Govan in 1845 by William Simpson (1823-1899).
The sheds of Napier's Shipyard are on the left. Known locally as the "Old Yard" it had been acquired by Robert Napier from McArthur & Alexander in 1842. Napier launched his first iron ship, the Vanguard, in 1843. In 1850 he built a new shipyard to the east of the old, at Highland Lane, and it became known as the "New Yard". He sold the Old Yard in 1858.
The Govan Ferry row boat has just disembarked passengers at the little bay in the foreground, at the end of Water Row. Govan Old Parish Church's steeple can be seen beyond the shipyard's sheds.
This watercolour is one of fifty-five painted by Simpson between 1893 and 1898. Most were based on sketches he completed fifty years earlier and appeared as black and white illustrations in Views and Notices of Glasgow in Former Times, published in 1848 by Allan & Ferguson.
Reference: 892j / 1989.2.j
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Allan & Ferguson, boats, church steeples, churches, cottages, dogs, ferries, Govan Ferry, Govan New Yard, Govan Old Parish Church, Govan Old Yard, iron ships, paintings, River Clyde, Robert Napier & Sons, shipbuilders, shipbuilding, shipyards, Vanguard, watercolours
, watercolours, women