The Duke's Lodgings, view at the back, a watercolour painted by William Simpson (1823-1899) in 1897.
James Graham, first Duke of Montrose(d 1742), acquired the old Prebendal Manses of Peebles and Eaglesham early in the 18th century, converting the former as his city mansion (which became known as the Duke's Lodgings) and demolishing the latter to make way for an extension that was never completed. In this watercolour Simpson shows the view of the house from the southwest, with a flat area of land being used as a bleachfield. Simpson believed that this area had once been a bowling green, with gardens and fruit trees. An extension to the city's bridewell, or jail, was subsequently built on the site. The bridewell was later named Duke Street Prison.
This watercolour is one of fifty-five painted by Simpson between 1893 and 1898. Most of the paintings were based on sketches he made fifty years earlier and which originally appeared as black and white illustrations in Views and Notices of Glasgow in Former Times, published in 1848 by Allan & Ferguson.
Reference: 892g / 1989.2.g
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Allan & Ferguson, artists, bleachfields, bowling greens, bowls, bridewells, Duke Street Prison, Duke's Lodgings, gaols, gardens, jails, Manse of the Rector of Eaglesham, manses, paintings, Prebendal Manse of the Rector of Peebles, prebendal manses, watercolours, women