A group photo of 5th year pupils at Queen's Park Secondary School in Grange Road, 1936.
In 1914 there were around 12,000 Jews living in Glasgow, many of them in the Gorbals. As their prosperity increased, particularly in the years from 1919 onwards, Jewish families moved south to more affluent areas of the city. The residential districts around Queen's Park became popular, offering better quality housing and amenities but still within easy reach of the kosher shops and Jewish organisations in the Gorbals.
By the 1930s many of the pupils at Queen's Park Secondary School were Jewish and the district contained two synagogues (Queen's Park Synagogue in Falloch Road and Langside Synagogue in Niddrie Road) as well as other institutions such as the Gertrude Jacobson Orphanage.
Reproduced with the permission of the Scottish Jewish Archives Centre
Gertrude Jacobson Orphanage, girls, gymnasiums, gyms, Jews, Langside Synagogue, pupils, Queen's Park Secondary School, Queen's Park Synagogue, school children, secondary schools