A Sanitary Department photograph of Roslin Place and Burnside Street near Garscube Road in Cowcaddens, 1920s.
The lower windows of the delapidated tenement to the left are boarded up. Families are still living in the houses above, where men and women can be seen leaning out of windows. The pavements and cobbled street are rutted and strewn with rubbish. Children gather around two motor cycles.
In 1922 the Corporation embarked on its first slum clearance programme in Cowcaddens, and many families were rehoused in Hamiltonhill. The population fell steadily from the 1930s and many more of the area's slum houses were swept away in the 1950s and 1960s, after Cowcaddens had become one of twenty-nine areas eventually selected for comprehensive redevelopment.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
CDAs, children, Comprehensive Development Areas, Glasgow Corporation, lamp posts, motor cycles, Sanitary Department, slums, streetscenes, tenements, window hingin'