Dunlop Place and Burnside Row in Nitshill, photographed by a member the Sanitary Department staff c 1920s.
Nitshill was originally a coal mining village and in the 1850s was memorably summed up by Hugh MacDonald as "quarries, coal-pits, and belching volumes of smoke". The area was annexed by Glasgow in 1926.
The cottages to the right are probably miners' rows built in the 19th century to house colliery workers.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
children, coal miners, coal mining, coal mining villages, miners' cottages, miners' rows, Sanitary Department, tenements, women