Swans on the boating pond at Elder Park in Govan c 1910.
In 1883 Isabella, the widow of John Elder of the Fairfield Shipyard, set aside 37 acres of land on the old Fairfield Farm off Renfrew Road as a public park. The Elder Park was laid out by John Honeyman and opened by Lord Rosebery on 27 June 1885. In accordance with Mrs Elder's wishes, the park was intended solely for “healthful recreation by music and amusements,” and no ball games were to be permitted there.
The park's bye-laws stipulated that "No person shall wade, bathe or fish in the lake", although the swans don't appear to be concerned about the children paddling in their pool. The pond was also popular with retired shipyard workers, who came to sail model boats which they had built themselves.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
boating ponds, children, Elder Park, paddling, parks, swans