The opening of Elder Park Library on 5 September 1903.
The library was gifted to Govan by Mrs Elder and designed by J J Burnet. It was opened by Andrew Carnegie (seated at the centre of this photograph, one along from Mrs Elder), the Scots-American industrialist and millionaire who had funded 3,000 public libraries including 380 in Britain.
Mrs Elder provided £10,000 to meet the cost of building and the purchase of books and a further £17,000 to a fund for the maintenance of the library. As a condition of her financial assistance, she insisted that the library must open on Sundays.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
benefactors, Elder Park Library, libraries, opening ceremonies