Govan Cross Public School, some time shortly after 1872.
The village's parochial school was built at the end of the 18th century. The schoolmaster's salary was met partly by Abraham Hill's Trust. He lodged in rooms above the classroom, but the upper floor was later converted to provide more space for pupils - by the 1870s, there were as many as 210 pupils attending lessons at the school.
After the creation of the Govan School Board in 1872, the old school was closed and the pupils transferred to a new building in Golspie Street. Abraham Hill's Trust opened a new school nearby in 1876.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Abraham Hill's Trust, children, Govan Cross Public School, Govan School Board, parochial schools, primary schools, school teachers