Govan Fire Brigade outside the fire station in Albert Street (subsequently renamed Orkney Street), c 1876.
Govan became a police burgh in 1864 and the commissioners became responsible for the provision of a range of services, including a fire brigade. The brigade was based in the new town hall in Albert Street. When council officials and staff were relocated in the new Govan Town Hall in Summertown Road in 1899, the old building became the headquarters of the burgh's fire and police services.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
fire engines, fire fighters, fire stations, firemen, Govan Fire Brigade, Govan Town Hall, horses, police stations, steam-powered water pumps