Fairfield Shipyard 1932, lithograph by Muirhead Bone. The warship on the right is believed to be the light cruiser HMS Cardiff. A submarine is berthed further along the quay.
HMS Cardiff was built at Fairfield Shipyard and launched in April 1917. She joined the Grand Fleet at Scapa Flow and saw action at the Battle of Heligoland in 1917, before leading the German High Seas Fleet into internment in the River Forth in 1918. The ship was then sent to Reval (Tallinn) in the Baltic to operate against the Bolsheviks who had recently seized power in Russia.
After returning from the Baltic Cardiff was on general fleet duties before being converted to an anti-aircraft cruiser in 1935. She served as the Clyde Gunnery Training Ship during the Second World War and was disposed of in 1945.
Reproduced with the permission of Quentin Bone
anti-aircraft cruisers, Battle of Heligoland, Clyde Gunnery Training Ships, Fairfield Shipyard, Farifield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, First World War, German High Seas Fleet, Grand Fleet, HMS Cardiff, lithographs, Russian Revolution, shipbuilding, ships, shipyards, submarines, warships