Two women outside Abraham Links' drapery shop in Main Street in the Gorbals, 1907. The top left hand window has lettering in Yiddish while the bottom right window has a similar message in English.
Abraham Links (1886-1953) was a leading figure in the Zionist movement in Glasgow. He was involved in setting up the first Glasgow office of the Jewish National Fund in Dixon Street in 1935, building on the success of the JNF's Glasgow Committee which had been founded in 1901 to raise funds to buy land in Palestine for the creation of a Jewish homeland.
Links also supported Hebrew language teaching for Jewish children and the establishment of a Zionist-oriented Jewish day school in the Gorbals. The first step was the creation in 1911 of the Hebrew Higher Grade School at 124 South Portland Street, which offered after-school classes for children and evening classes for adults.
Reproduced with the permission of the Scottish Jewish Archives Centre
drapers, drapers' shops, drapery shops, fancy linen merchants, Hebrew Higher Grade School, higher grade schools, Jews, JNF, women, Yiddish, Zionism, Zionists