The entrance to Garnethill Synagogue.
The first synagogue in Glasgow opened in September 1823 in a flat on the High Street. In the following years the Glasgow Hebrew Congregation moved several times before purchasing and converting property in George Street in 1858. By the 1870s the number of Jews in Glasgow had grown and the George Street Synagogue was not longer adequate. In November 1875 the decision was made to purchase land at Garnethill and build a new synagogue.
The building is in a Romanesque-cum-Byzantine style with Moorish touches. It was designed by John McLeod, assisted by Nathan Solomon Joseph who had worked on the Bayswater Synagogue in London. It opened in 1879 and was the first purpose-built synagogue in Scotland.
Reproduced with the permission of the Scottish Jewish Archives Centre
Garnethill Synagogue, Glasgow Hebrew Congregation, Jews, Judaism, synagogues