The Jewish Lads' Brigade Band in the 1930s.
The Jewish Lads' Brigade (JLB) was formed in 1895 in London. The first Glasgow branch was established in 1903 and was particularly active in the Gorbals. By June 1904 there were 125 members and an increasing membership mean that there were soon three groups in operation. The JLB had the same discipline as other youth organisations such as the Boys' Brigade and its members were trained in rifle drill, foot drill, map reading, Morse code and so on. There were also summer camps which enabled the boys to have a holiday away from the city.
One major difference between the JLB and other youth groups was the intention that JLB membership would help the children of immigrants integrate themselves into their new surroundings and learn to be good citizens. Accordingly the Glasgow JLB adopted a number of Scottish traditions including establishing what was claimed to be the world's only all-Jewish pipe band.
Reproduced with the permission of the Scottish Jewish Archives Centre
bagpipes, drums, Jewish Lads' Brigade, Jews, JLB, kilts, pipe bands, railway stations, trains