The Govan Silk Works (right) in 1900.
This six-storey mill was built at the western end of Govan in 1824 for Morris Pollok. Bales of silk were delivered to the works where the silk was processed, wound and "thrown" (spun) to produce silk thread. In 1839 the mill employed 250 workers (both adults and children) who worked a 10-hour day. It was heated and ventilated by steam and considered the most modern of its day.
A fire caused serious damage to the silk works in 1873 and the damaged section was never rebuilt. The remainder of the building was demolished in 1901 to make way for an extension to the Fairfield Shipyard.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
children, factories, Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, Fairfield Shipyard, Govan Silk Works, River Clyde, shipyards, silk manufacturers, silk merchants, silk mills, silk spinning, ventilation