Unveiling the Pearce Monument in 1894.
This statue was erected by public subscription to the memory of William Pearce, local MP and shipyard owner, who died in 1888. Originally from Kent, Pearce had been trained as a naval architect and designer by the Admiralty at Chatham Dockyards. He moved to Glasgow in 1864 to work as manager at Robert Napier's dockyard, and five years later was headhunted to become a partner at John Elder & Co. In 1878 Pearce was left in complete control when the two other partners in the company retired. Having made his fortune in shipbuilding, he turned his attention to other areas and in 1885 was elected Conservative MP for Govan, serving in this capacity until his death three years later.
The statue was designed by Onslow Ford (1852-1901) and is made of bronze on a granite base.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Black Man, engineers, flags, Members of Parliament, monuments, MPs, Pearce Monument, Pearce Statue, shipbuilders, statues, tenements