View of Gorbals Cross looking along Main Street (renamed Gorbals Street in 1922), early 20th century. There is an electric tram passing in front of the drinking fountain at the cross.
The reconstruction of the buildings at Gorbals Cross began in 1872 to plans drawn up by John Carrick (1819-1890), the City Architect. Following the contemporary Parisian fashion, the buildings were set at angles to create an open diamond-shaped plaza with a fountain (seen here behind the electric tram) at the centre.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
barrows, children, drinking fountains, Gorbals Cross, shops, streetscenes, trams, women