Gorbals Cross looking west from Ballater Street to Norfolk Street, 17 September 1930.
Gorbals Cross was remodelled by the City Improvement Trust after 1872 to create a broad public space at the junction of four important thoroughfares. The drinking fountain and cast-iron clock, centre, were erected in 1878. A public telephone box and the entrance to the subterranean gents' lavatory are in the foreground. The two long poles carry overhead wires for Glasgow Corporation's electric trams.
A white-gloved policeman is directing traffic at the busy junction.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
City Improvement Trust, clock towers, clocks, drinking fountains, Gorbals Cross, horses and carts, police officers, policemen, public lavatories, public toilets, streetscenes, telephone boxes, tenements, traffic policemen