Cleaning and maintaining gas lights in Nicholson Street in Lauriston, probably 1920s or 1930s. The street, pavement and the walls of the run-down tenement in the background are covered in chalked graffiti.
In 1866 the Glasgow Police Act empowered the Council to erect and maintain lamps and lamp posts in all public and private streets, courts and common stairs in the city. They were also empowered to appoint an inspector of lighting to take charge of the work and to be responsible for the behaviour of the lamplighters and other staff.
By 1914 there were 19,437 gas lamps in the city's public streets, and 1,541 electric lamps. In the private streets and courts there were 6,527 gas lamps and 126 electric lamps. The Corporation employed 1,050 workers in the Lighting Department.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
chalk graffiti, gas lighting, gas lights, Glasgow Corporation, Glasgow Police Act, graffiti, lamp posts, lamplighters, Lighting Department, street lighting, street lights, vandalism