Football pitches at Fleshers' Haugh on Glasgow Green, c 1920s. The Green was the first home of Glasgow Rangers Football Club, founded by a group of rowers who played their early matches at Fleshers' Haugh before moving to Burnbank in 1875.
By 1914 there were eighteen football pitches on Fleshers' Haugh, maintained by Glasgow Corporation. The black ash (later red blaes) playing surface was laid on a rock hard foundation and the pitches flooded quickly after rain. Generations of Glasgow's aspiring, has-been and never-did footballers played at the Green until the facility was closed in 1992. The Glasgow Green Football Centre opened in its place in 2000 providing both grass and artificial turf pitches.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
black ash, factories, Fleshers' Haugh, football pitches, football players, football spectators, Glasgow Corporation, Glasgow Rangers FC, red blaes