John M Hamilton's milk van with horse and driver, photographed during the 1920s or 1930s.
The milk came from Bogton Dairy on the Clarkston Road in Muirend, on a site subsequently occupied by a Safeway supermarket. The dairy's phone number is painted on the side of the seat, "Merrylee 1050". The driver is dressed in practical working clothes, but his horse is beautifully turned out and clearly well cared for, while the van has painted decoration along the shafts and around the driver's seat.
The lettering on the van states that Hamilton is "licensed to sell certified and grade ATT milk". ATT stands for Anti-Tuberculosis Treatment. Tuberculin testing was introduced in 1924 in an attempt to eradicate tuberculosis, which could be passed to humans in unpasteurised milk. The sale of untreated milk was made illegal in Scotland in 1955.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Anti-Tuberculosis Treatment, Bogton Dairy, dairies, horses and carts, lanes, milk carts, milk vans, milkmen, pasteurisation, tuberculin testing