An British Rail engine driver at Corkerhill, c 1950s.
The Paisley Canal line, which connected Glasgow to Paisley, was opened by the Glasgow & South Western Railway Co in 1885. Ten years later the company began to build a large new locomotive shed and houses for staff next to the line at Corkerhill. A small halt was built exclusively for staff use and in 1923 the Corkerhill halt was opened to the general public. British Rail rebuilt and upgraded Corkerhill Station in 1954. The station closed in 1983 but re-opened in 1990.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
British Railways, Corkerhill Halt, Corkerhill Station, engine drivers, G&SWR, Glasgow & South Western Railway Co, locomotives, Paisley Canal line, railway depots, railway stations, train drivers, trains