Corkerhill Railway Station, c 1900.
In December 1896 the Glasgow & South Western Railway Co opened its new Corkerhill depot on its Paisley Canal line, taking its name from the nearby Corkerhill Farm. The depot was built to relieve overcrowding in the engine sheds at St Enoch Station and provided facilities for the fuelling and servicing of locomotives. Because of the depot's remote rural location the G&SWR also built a small village of two-storey tenements for 112 employees and their families, as well as a staff halt on the railway nearby to provide transport to and from the new homes. From 1923 the staff halt became a station available to the public.
In 1954 British Railways rebuilt the station, replacing the original wooden buildings at the staff halt with brick and concrete ones. The depot was threatened with closure in 1984 but was reprieved and is currently operated by ScotRail.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
British Railways, Corkerhill Railway Station, engine sheds, G&SWR, Glasgow & South Western Railway Co, Paisley Canal Line, railway depots, railway stations, railway villages, ScotRail Railways, St Enoch Station, staff halts, station buildings, tenements