Members of the St George Co-operative Musical Association and their conductor William Wilson, after winning the Open Premier Challenge Trophy in the Glasgow Musical Festival, May 1926.
Co-operative societies offered their members access to low-priced quality produce. They also encouraged the pursuit of a wide range of social and educational activities and the formation of choirs, drama groups and musical associations, many of which were of a very high standard.
The St George Co-Operative Society was founded in 1871 and erected its landmark store at St George's Cross in 1897. The building was demolished in 1985 and the only surviving feature is a statue of St George and the Dragon, which was salvaged from the wall head and re-erected at St George's Cross in 1988.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
choirs, choristers, co-operatives, co-ops, conductors, Glasgow Musical Festival, music, Open Premier Challenge, singers, singing, St George Co-operative Musical Association, St George Co-operative Society, trophies, women