The Clarion Challenge Shield, presented by Martin Haddow in 1904.
The Clarion Cycling Club was set up in 1894 with the twin aims of promoting cycling and socialism in Great Britain. The first Glasgow branch was founded in the same year. Club members participated in political events such as May Day rallies and also took part in sporting activities such as the National Easter Meet and the "Tour de Trossachs" (an annual event established in 1943).
Coatbridge won the shield most frequently (eight times) between 1904 and 1961. Glasgow and Springburn branches were also frequent winners. If anyone knows the name of the event for which the trophy was awarded, please contact the editor!
Reference: 311.84.3349 / PP.1984.129.1
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Clarion Challenge Shield, Clarion Cycling Clubs, cycling, socialism, Tour de Trossachs, trophies