Children in the Jewish Board of Education Nursery at 15 Queen Mary Avenue in Crosshill c 1947.
The nursery opened in 1946, with the first intake of children at the end of the year and an official opening ceremony on 2 February 1947. It was the first Jewish nursery school in Scotland and was intended to offer up-to-date pre-school education as well as an understanding of the ideals of the Jewish faith. A catering facility provided kosher food for the nursery children and for older children attending nearby schools who could not get home for lunch. The nursery closed in the 1950s.
Reproduced with the permission of the Scottish Jewish Archives Centre
children, Jewish Board of Education, Jews, kosher food, nurseries, nursery school teachers, nursery schools, pre-school education, women